Sunday, October 07, 2007

Old Fashioned Christmas Cake.

My youngest daughter and I have spent some time together today and made our Christmas cake. Every year we use an old fashioned recipe which is very straight forward to follow for a great result! For those interested, here is the recipe:
8 oz Plain Flour + 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
8 oz Butter
8 oz Muscovado Sugar
4 oz Currants
6 oz Sultanas
6 oz Raisins
4 oz Glace Cherries
8 oz Mixed Candied Peel
1 oz Ground Almonds
1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Mixed Spice
4 Eggs
A little Rum or Brandy

Cream together the butter and sugar. Add beaten eggs a little at a time. Add a little of the flour.
Mix all of the dry ingredients together and then add to the mixture.
Finally add the rum or brandy and stir well.

Place the mixture into a well greased double-lined cake tin.

Bake in a warm oven, 140°C (gas mark 1) for about 3 hours.

Once it is cooked, cool on a wire rack having carefully peeled away the greaseproof paper.
Then as an extra treat, pierce some holes in the top with a skewer and drizzle a little rum or brandy into the cake. This can be repeated once a week up until Christmas and the cake will become extremely rich and moist, a deep brown colour and delicious of course!
Store wrapped in foil in an air tight tin.

5 comments:

  1. Oh how kind of you to share your family recipe :))
    I am a Geordie living in Norway, and when I get homesick, I visit your blog, whitch I love, takes me back to my childhood. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. perfect! I'm researching old christmas cake recipes for an article, your blog is exactly what I needed!
    thank-you!
    Pigx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi can you tell me what size cake Tim should be used ?
    Many thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nina,
    I use an 8" tin, the sort with the loose base, which is double lined with grease-proof paper.
    Thanks for visiting and good luck if you make a cake :)
    Niki

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great thank you for getting back to me :-) I've never done one before so I may need some luck ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for finding the time to visit me...
Niki xx