Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Wedded Bliss

When I wrote this post last week, I didn't for one moment think that we would be spending the weekend down in Cornwall. Hubby was working away in Germany and I was busy with my shop...but as we chatted each evening when he phoned me from Munich, we thought, 'actually, why shouldn't we?' We both thoroughly enjoyed our last visit to Trevoole Farm, and as this open garden event was going to be offering something extra, we decided to make it possible.
I surfed the web and was able to secure a small cottage for two nights through LateRooms.com , down in Lostwithiel, for myself, hubby, and our youngest daughter. Luckily hubby's flight wasn't delayed on his journey home on Saturday (unlike the 3 hour delay he experienced going out), and I left my shop on time at 4pm and headed home. We both arrived at around the same time - did a quick turnaround, and found ourselves travelling down the M5 by early evening....And by 8.30pm we were sat in a lovely Bistro in Lostwithiel, (having dumped our suitcases at the pretty little cottage first) and enjoyed an evening meal in this quaint Cornish town...with much sighs of relief!
After a good nights sleep we spent the morning walking around Lostwithiel...
Then it was time to head to Trevoole Farm.
As you may have read on the message that Beth asked me to post on my blog, there was a wedding at the Farm on Friday. The marquee was still in place at the top field and visitors on Sunday were allowed to look inside at the beautiful decorations.
The theme was vintage, of course, and an overall colour scheme of green and white ran throughout...

With an abundance of country style flowers and foliage too...

A collection of Trevoole's trademark sofas created a welcoming seating/foyer area inside the marquee...each one dressed in vintage floral cushions and throws.

*

A beautiful length of oak panelling (for sale at £200), divided the casual seating area from the more formal dining space. Lace, fabrics and flowers lavishly decorated the partition. Guests could find their places on the button decorated seating plan above.

(Country Living magazine were photographing on the Sunday too - I'm sure it will be a stunning article, as all the hard work had been done for them...They had so many beautiful details to chose from.)
Here we are beyond the oak panels. I'm sure on the day, with lots of vintage china to complete the picture, it would have been even more eye-catching. 


Most of the pieces had a price label (including all the dining chairs that had painstakingly been collected)...BUT....
Everyone had to wait until 3pm! 
By the time 3pm arrived, the marquee was full of eager buyers, many of whom had their eye on several pieces, so it was clear there would be little left at the end of the day. 
We managed to buy several lemonade pitchers, a few china platters, and some silk flowers...which I have put away for an event I am planning for this autumn! ;-))
I'm sure Beth must be very pleased with the amount raised by the sale for charity...I wondered if the marquee itself sold, as it too had a price tag...just a little out of my budget though, at £6,000!
****
The rest of the garden, of course, did not fail to impress...I posted lots of photos last year, but will do so again, showing some of my favourite bits...
The wonderful table outside the summer house, overflowing with summery posies on a patchwork of tablecloths. 








We spotted the wedding cakes sitting on the windowsill inside the Farmhouse. Simple and perfect.  



Around the back, in the shady bog garden, I loved the fencing along the board-walk, created from old iron bed heads. 


The sunken patio to the rear of the cottage had been dressed since last year. I'm inspired by all of the textiles that Beth uses in abandon throughout her gardens...there were also china plates hanging on the old stone walls that seem all the more special somehow, because they are outside.
A final tea stop before heading to the potting shed and shepherd's hut near to the exit...

I really could move in here...
Do you think anyone would notice?
Christine was also visiting the open gardens on Sunday. She too always looks like she 'belongs' there and we were able to chat briefly before we headed back to our cosy cottage for our second night. I also met a couple of ladies who read my blog...One had travelled with her husband, all the way from Warwickshire! Trevoole is one of those special places that seems to draw people to it...If you love vintage and 'old style' gardening, I would wholeheartedly recommend a visit to one of the special open days (organised through the National Garden Scheme) should you ever get the chance. (If not, then I hope you enjoyed the photos from our visit.)
Christine suggested we travel back via Chapel Porth...which is what we did for a much enjoyed 'seaside fix'. 


***
We're now back home and I am frantically trying to catch up...I have another busy weekend this week too, with lots of visitors coming to stay with us, the Rag Market at Frome on Saturday (still so much I need to get ready for that!!), AND a special family party on Sunday...Phew!
Niki x

12 comments:

  1. Thank you so much, Niki! I would have been delighted to be there as well but now it is as if. I long for Cornwall, you can't know how much. I hope we can make a journey in September. Having a big party in the Bayous this weekend, those pictures are perfectly inspiring how to hang the buntings etc. Have been in Lostwithiel, btw. long ago. Have a great weekend, good sales and lots of fun, Niki.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a pretty wedding venue! And I love the cottage. It all looks so effortless, but I am sure that is not the case. From experience I know that even to keep fresh flowers from the garden in a couple of vases throughout the house takes a lot of work.
    Lovely photos, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. last-minute nights away always seem to be the nicest- perhaps its because before we have time to fret about the details, we're there!
    Mark and I had a spur-of-the-moment stay just outside Brighton for his birthday and it was so refreshing and giggly that it felt like we'd been away for a week.

    See you on Saturday
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just a wonderful post Niki!!
    so enjoyed reading it...
    Maria x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely wonderful photos, Niki, thanks so much for sharing them. My fave has to be the table outdoors with the patchwork of tablecloths and jugs of flowers. Looks like you had a fab weekend.
    Hen x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely wonderful photos, Niki, thanks so much for sharing them. My fave has to be the table outdoors with the patchwork of tablecloths and jugs of flowers. Looks like you had a fab weekend.
    Hen x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely wonderful photos, Niki, thanks so much for sharing them. My fave has to be the table outdoors with the patchwork of tablecloths and jugs of flowers. Looks like you had a fab weekend.
    Hen x

    ReplyDelete
  8. What beautiful photos Niki...must have been a stunning wedding...glad you had a lovely time. Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  9. Niki those pictures were stunning. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like you had the most amazing weekend!

    Thanks for sharing with those of us who couldn't get there :o)

    Have a great week Niki.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks to have been such a perfect visit,Niki, I love your photographs, so inspiring! Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great photos. I don't think I have ever seen a green rose before. I loved all the green mixed in with the wedding decor. What a fun weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for finding the time to visit me...
Niki xx