Friday, May 03, 2013

May at Nostalgia at No.1

I've been busy at home and at my shop this week...
I've made some new cushions...
Lovely vintage pictorial linen...
Backed in a quality modern embroidered fabric. 

This one is made from natural linen and a pretty vintage appliquéd tray cloth.


And two gorgeous Sanderson floral cushions.



I've been giving some terracotta pots a paint effect to resemble a weathered/verdigris look...
You start by sponging on a layer of turquoise emulsion paint...(It dries quickly in the sunshine)

Then you add areas of a paler turquoise paint, again with the sponge...
I used a stencil brush to stipple on small areas of green paint, to resemble moss...
This gets toned down with a final layer of white emulsion.

Left outside, they will tone down nicely to look more natural...
This is one I did back in the 1980's! When stencilling and paint effects were all  rage!

Last Sunday I bought this stunning antique wooden wheelbarrow to stand outside my shop...
I've filled it with some wonderful auricular plants. 

Another little project was to make-over this modern miniature mannequin ...
The velvet covering was torn and damaged...
So I ripped the whole lot off to leave me with the plain resin torso. 

I re-covered it in an antique appliquéd net fabric. 
It makes a pretty jewellery stand on my shop counter.

At the shop tomorrow, I shall be sorting out some of the old stock. If the weather continues to be fine, I shall be taking some clearance items with me to offer for sale at the Giant Shepton Mallet Flea Market on Sunday.








Have a great Bank Holiday weekend,
Niki x

6 comments:

  1. I love that linen cushion with the deer on! Your shop looks beautiful, sadly too far for me to visit. Have a lovely weekend x Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. How clever you are- I especially love the cushions!
    have a happy bank holiday weekend. Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your shoppe is so lovley Niki, I only wish I could reach into the photos (first one caught my heart!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many wonderful things you have.....ciao Alison

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Niki, I came to visit on the recommendation of Holly Nicholas-Steele, love your blog! If I am in the west country visiting my auntie in Glastonbury, I will definitely pop in!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything is delightful!
    I love the last pictures of inside Nostalgia at No.1 its such a beautiful shop xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for finding the time to visit me...
Niki xx