Monday, May 20, 2013

Talent for Textiles 67th Event

I spent a blissful few hours on Sunday at a lovely fair in Bradford on Avon. I had received the invitation a few weeks ago from Mrs. Elizabeth Baer who, once a year, opens part of her home to antique textile enthusiasts. (This was possibly the last to be held here?)
I have attended this event many times in the past and have always come away laden with wonderments!
Past visits here in 2007 and here in 2009.

Once again I was unable to resist a stunning hand stitched Welsh quilt from well known Welsh quilt expert/enthusiast, Jen Jones.
This one dates from the 20's, with its classic Deco jet black banding around the edge.  
I am told that the spiral hand quilted design on the edges represents 'long life'.
The floral fabric in the centre is delicious.
Other items that came home with me were...
A large lace curtain panel, perfect for a glazed door.
A collection of lovelies that came from Sue Stokes....
Vintage doll.
A girdle and vintage fabric remnants to re-use...
C1930's French.

And a pair of antique dancing shoes that may have one last dance left in them...
(They remind me of the dance shoes that were shown on the recent BBC2 TV programme  -  Pride & Prejudice; Having a Ball, which recreated the Netherfield Ball, inspired by Jane Austen's novel. Did you watch it?)

Finally some goodies that a lovely lady was selling in the entrance to the wine vaults. Nothing was priced and customers were asked to make an offer for the items they wished to purchase...This was difficult, as sometimes its not easy to know what items are worth...But I was thrilled to have my offers accepted and love the collection of treasures that I was able to buy...Above, some millinery flowers that will look a lot better after a light steam...
A set of French buttons...

Adorable patriotic 40's hat and mother-of-pearl button and buckle selection...

A plush c1920's feather boa.

And a collection of original ostrich plumes.
If I am able to part with any of my purchases ;-)), they will be coming with me to the V&H Fair on Saturday...Lots to do in readiness for that, so I must get on...
Have a great week,
Niki x

4 comments:

  1. What beautiful buys, especially the gorgeous quilt. I had hoped to get to Elizabeth's fair but our plans were overtaken by other events. Good luck on Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What absolute treasures - that quilt is stunning. I bet you keep getting things out and just looking at them - I know I would! Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Niki.
    Wonderful images,
    that nostalgia for England!
    We visited Bradford on Avon, is a delightful village.
    I wish you good luck for Saturday in Chipping Sodbury, I'll be there with my heart ...
    Thank you for the beautiful picture you've posted on the blog, we are fascinating! ;o))
    Kisses and hugs, *Maristella*.
    (with translator)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful place to visit,and all those treasures...just wonderful...thanks so much for sharing with us.....blessings

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for finding the time to visit me...
Niki xx