Monday, October 28, 2013

Escape to the Country...

Whilst talking to an estate agent a few months ago, we discovered that selling a rural/character property can be a very difficult task, mainly due to the fact that 95% of buyers these days are looking for the ‘modern box’ on an estate. I found that quite difficult to believe. 
When you live in the countryside, surrounded by nature, you become so beautifully wrapped up in the changing seasons that you can forget how lucky you are. It’s also easy to assume that most people would also choose to live that way. If you don’t already, and have actually considered moving to the countryside and living in a unique character property, then I’d like to share something with you...
This isn't about me, but my lovely friend Helen. (Many of you will know Helen from the vintage fairs in the SW area.) Now much as I don’t want Helen to move too far away, I do want her to be content...She has found a smaller property to the one she lives in presently and is ready to move-on. It is with some reluctance that she has put her beloved Somerset cottage on the market, which is now too large for her and her husband’s needs.


Some of you may have seen photos that I've taken in Helen’s cottage when I've been lucky enough to visit her. (Here, here and here.) In fact I couldn't help talking about the seasons whenever I've visited, which is reflected in the photos I've shared of visiting birds outside its windows, 
the colours of the trees and of foliage picked for the dining table 
and the stunning views across the Mendips. 


I also featured it in my book along with her much-loved collections. It was the perfect home to be included, as the nostalgic elements it contains make it very welcoming and a happy place to be.
I promised Helen and Tim that I would mention ‘Brooklyn’ on my blog in the hope that someone visiting my page may be in the process of looking for an idyllic character property in the Somerset area. Or perhaps it may even be the exciting spark to trigger the idea to up-sticks and buy a new (old!) home in the peaceful south west.

 If this could be you, I know that Helen would love for you to take a tour of her home. The details for her 4 bedroom property can be found via the Killen’s website here.
UPDATE: Helen's home is now being marketed here.
I’ll leave you with some more pictures to hopefully tempt you to follow your dreams and begin a new life in the country...













Wishing Helen and Tim every good wish for happiness in this new chapter of their lives,
Niki x

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:15 pm

    What a beautiful home, I would love to live in a country cottage again but alas our pennies would not, I am sure somebody will fall in love with it...Sarah I have mentioned you on my latest post and added a link to your blog..
    Hope your post stirs up some interest for your friends
    fingers crossed
    Thea x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:19 pm

    So sorry I mean Niki I am having one of those days
    Thea xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful home!I'm sure it wlll be snapped up in no time and hopefully by someone who will love it just as much as your friends have x Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh! Your friends home is lovely! Its a dream! We have a tudor house in the middle of a town but the dream was always to live in the countryside. Such a shame we are SE not SW!

    Good luck to your friend! :)

    Jerra x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful old home...looks like a house right out of a Jane Austen movie to me....just beautiful...thanks for sharing....blessings

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous place! I'm sure it will become someone's dream home very soon! ~Karen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful home!....and love the land it's on, just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for finding the time to visit me...
Niki xx