Wednesday, July 02, 2014

Bonnie Scotland


Although our summer holiday to Edinburgh didn't get off to the best of starts - Heathrow Airport managed to lose my suitcase and so I arrived in the city with just the clothes I stood up in and my handbag - I was reunited with it just over 24 hours later when it arrived at our apartment by courier the following evening.
I'd never been to Scotland before and loved every minute. Edinburgh had so much to offer and the people were very friendly and welcoming. With the bonus of many of the attractions being free to go in, we made the most of each day there...
The Scottish National Gallery

Scottish Parliament Building
Edinburgh Castle

Where we took a tour...
with this very funny tour-guide, who told us it was never sunny in Edinburgh, so 'today was a mistake'! 
The views from the towers were spectacular...
 
And we witnessed the 1 o'clock  gun, fire out over the city.
There was some shopping time...

'How much is that doggie in the window?'...

At the Old Town Woollen Mill I bought a bundle of assorted tartan remnants to create my own souvenir of a lovely holiday.

We walked around several cemeteries in Edinburgh.




Greyfriars Bobby. 


The Cathedral
With the promise of more sunshine, one day we headed to the coast at North Berwick. 




And Dunbar.




Scottish Mussels. 
The Heart of Midlothian. 
Then a tour of the Royal Yacht Britannia...


The Queen's bedroom.

And the Royal Botanic Garden.






Calton Hill Monuments.

And the National Museum of Scotland.




A wonderful holiday where we walked for miles and experienced so many wonderful sights...I would love to return one day...
Niki x

8 comments:

  1. Your photographs are STUNNING! I so want to visit. . .Scotland has been on my list for some time, and your photos have just convinced me even more that it is a must! My brother was in the U.S. Navy in the 1960's and while stationed in Scotland, fell in love with everything he experienced, eventually becoming quite proficient on the bagpipes, and partaking in every "Highland Games" events here in the States and in Canada as well. It has been his dream to go back again. I will have to show him your beautiful photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful catch and you had good weather, Niki! Edinburgh is worthwhile to visit as all Scotland is. I have happy memories of it, as well.
    Happy belated blog anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simply gorgeous. Hubby and I are talking about a trip maybe this
    Sept. I will show your photos to him for inspiration.

    I especially liked the national museum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! I thought you were gone forever! For some reason, I just decided to check your blog and there you were.

    When I was a teenager, my family (we're from Texas) was living in England and we went on a trip to Scotland. Such a beautiful place! It was so fun for us because my maiden name was Craig and we were shown some sites that had to do with our clan. And one night at the Highland games, we were asked to stand and it was announced that the Craig family from America was visiting. Those are wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, except for the little luggage glitch, what a wonderful and gorgeous trip! Looks like you packed a lot into that visit! These photos are wonderful and sure make me wish I had been along!

    Was that a jellyfish on the beach?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi SAS - Thanks for your comment - I'd recommend the National Museum and it was free to go in! A VERY cheap day out! :)

    Niki x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Willow - Yes, lots of jellyfish on the beach at Nth Berwick - I tried getting them back into the water, but they just washed-up on the shore again! There were gorgeous eiderducks swimming in the sea too - I wanted to get a photo of them, but they were too far out.

    Have a good day,
    Niki x

    ReplyDelete
  8. looks as if you had a wonderful time in Sunny Scotland! x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for finding the time to visit me...
Niki xx