Saturday, January 17, 2015

A Winter Day's Foraging

Today has been a good day...

Spent with my friend, doing what we love - having a giggle and wandering around the local antiques fair, which in itself is enough, but if we stumble upon a few pretty bits and pieces, then all the better. 
The tiny chippy c1930's chalkware perpetual calendar with cute budgie (above) was something I treated myself to. The rest of my finds are for my business...
A collection of cardboard Victorian photo mounts...
Illustrated with beautiful flower borders...
Or wintry scenes (appropriately enough, as we awoke to snow this morning, it was touch and go whether we went out foraging...Glad we did though :)) 
Next...
A strange group of characters...
Yes, that is a teddy bear with no body, no ears and no eyes! Oh I do like a challenge! He's given me the inspiration I needed to move on from my crazed mood of late! (as mentioned on my previous couple of posts) 
And another project - a c1930's velveteen doll with the most beautiful eyes (but little else going for her! ;-))
Then there were the treasures I found for fairy making...
Pretty chandelier crystals with rose tinted tips. 
Teeniest flower sprays for working into halos and dress trims. 
We can always rely on Lizzie and Jack to have sourced wonderful offerings...
Such as these ribbons, flowers and bejewelled findings. 


Elsewhere, I uncovered a mother-of-pearl buckle bracelet, two brass perfume bottles and a diamante brooch perfect as a fairy tiara. 
Also, a large stack of capitz shells which I have created with in the past, so may try to think of another use for them. 
A small haul for a whole day's foraging, but I am happy with my lot!
Hope you've had a good day too,
Niki x 

10 comments:

  1. Too cold here to go treasure hunting Niki but love what you found. Looking forward to seeing what you do with the Ted.
    Rosezeeta.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rosezeeta,
    It was cold yesterday, with the snow and all, but it felt good to be out of the house for a while...May work on Ted this week...
    Have a good one and thanks for your visit,
    Niki

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't call that a small haul, lol, thats a pretty amazing stack of goodies. Fabulous finds, each and every one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely finds Niki and your new website is looking really good! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the mention. I cannot wait to see what you do with all these lovely old bits and bobs. I had to laugh when I saw that you had bought the bear's head as I dithered over buying that the day before!!! Lizzie xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6:47 am

    Great look to the new site Niki.
    What a lucky Bear to be bought by you!
    X

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is that pink face stiff cotton to be sewn on to a doll. I have some of those given to me by my grandmother in the early sixties which I still have.
    Julie xxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Julie,
    Thanks for your comment on my blog. The doll’s face is moulded cotton, over a layer of burlap for strength. I think they first came about in the 20’s and 30’s, but you can still get modern versions today. I used them to make doll head hat stands...so another project awaits... ;-))
    Lucky you having some with a family connection – always love that.

    Have a great day,
    Keep warm, Niki xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Frances...Bear is already a WIP...waiting for some old glass eyes to arrive in the post :)
    Have a lovely day, Niki

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wowee so much beauty! what delicious finds x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for finding the time to visit me...
Niki xx