Friday, January 09, 2015

Stir Crazy...

This week has been my first 'normal' week since closing-down my shop (without having Christmas or anything much else to think about, except trying to get into a new work routine) and I've been going slightly stir crazy!
 I suppose I am missing my shop and realise I'm at home most of the time now with no one to talk to! I'm sure I'll adjust, but will have to get over the cabin fever first! ;-))
I know some of you have noticed that I've been making changes to my blog  - I'm hoping the new look will sum up better my style. My on-line shop will have the same look when it's all been coded too. I'm also getting new business cards printed to tie-in and have been covering postage boxes in old sheet music to give a cohesive feel.
I wanted my on-line presence to have a more grown up look, as my old blog and site had become very dated. (Very 1990's I was told by my daughter!) Both had been neglected whilst I had the tie of the shop for the past 5 years...At the time it had to be number one, with so many bills to pay to keep my head above water (having a shop is a huge commitment)...Much as I had wanted to keep my on-line shop going, hard as I tried, I just couldn't juggle the demands it required. 
I feel I have lost contact with so many lovely people I once knew very well through my on-line shop and blog. I've now had to say good-bye to lots of other lovely people I got to know through the bricks and mortar business too.
I'll start rebuilding and as ever will work hard to create and source lots of special new products. 
I hope to launch my new look website next week - It will be an on-line shop which I shall be able to add to regularly, so once live, I hope you will enjoy checking in now and then when you have the time. 
There will also be a list of vintage fairs I'll be attending, which I shall add to as I get booked-in. The first fair for 2015 is the V&H Vintage Jumble at Box on February 28th. I'm using it as an opportunity to offer a lot of my shop's stock for sale at bargain prices. 
The photos I've added to this post are ones I shared about two years ago. Last year, when we put our house on the market, I packed a lot of my collections away in preparation for viewings. After putting those plans on-hold for a while, the house still doesn't fee like ours, as it lacks the personality I feel it once did...Hence there are few photo opportunities at home these days.  
I'd love to move into a new (old!) home this year, so we'll see how things work out this time...
If you can find it in your heart to stick with me on my blog page, you will always be most welcome...I've missed you! 
Have a lovely weekend,
Niki x

13 comments:

  1. It is sad that you closed your b&m shop, but, oh boy, I am so happy that you are working on your online shop again! I lived too far from you to visit the shop, so now I am really looking forward to seeing your offerings on the website. I wish you lots of success, this year and beyond.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Change is always hard Niki. But I am sure you will be successful with your Vintage Fairs and looking forward to visiting your on line shop.
    Rosezeeta,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Change is hard. I have been at home since 2012 after fifteen years of working. It took me a good year to get used to the idea of not having to get up and be out of the house at a certain time. Now I can 'play' and create and be me. Enjoy yourself.
    Julie xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Niki, I have recently found you via facebook I know Liz Van Haslet well as I also run vintage and handmade fairs in Taunton under the name of Dee Dees Vintage and handmade Fairs. I adore your fairy's they are simply stunning. I am sorry that you had to close your shop and I understand just how you are feeling right now with the cabin fever. I had to give up work 3 years ago as my son was struggling with his crohns disease and my health wasn't great either I was struggling with trying to balance everything and being there to support my son something had to give and my husband has been trying to support us all since. I set up an etsy shop in August last year where I sell vintage items and its given me a fresh focus. I have 3 greyhounds now which keep me busy and get me out its the only time during the day I get to speak to people. But it does get easier and its actually nice being at home now especially in the summer months :-) Things will get easier for you and change is as good as a rest they say :-) Good luck with everything, Dee x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Niki. I found you and your blog via an article in Daphne's Diary that I purchased at a bookstore a few weeks ago. I purchased your book which is in transit right now. I look forward to reading it and looking at all the eye candy. I live across the pond so I never got to visit your B&M shop. However, I'm glad you will have an online shop for your beautiful products. Loved all the images in today's post. I know Liz of Lululiz does quite well in her Etsy shop and when you have your online store, I'm thinking you will do well, also. I especially love your little fairies. Sorry you had to close the shop. I think you will do well at the craft fairs, though. If I lived near you, I'd sure visit your booth. Good luck and keep up the blogging. I follow you via BLOGLOVIN.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always look forward to your blog posts! You always have such pretty things to show us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous cards!I think someone should invent new words to praise loveliness! Pam.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Dee,
    Many thanks for your kind comment on my blog.
    I used to sell on-line and at fairs for about 8 years, but then decided to open my shop as I was becoming very isolated at home...I had the shop for 5 years, but as we plan on moving house (hopefully this year) I felt I had to come out of it, as I was going to be tied-in for another 5 years otherwise. I know I will adjust, and if we do manage to move this year I will have that as a fresh focus...
    I love doing the fairs, as I am sure you do too. I love the camaraderie that always comes through from the other stall holders...its unlike other work places, where groups of women don’t always get along! It’s always fun catching up with everyone and buying lovely things from one another too!
    For now I am trying to embrace the change working at home again, but am looking forward to my first fair in February.
    I’m sure our paths will cross – Liz is a lovely lady! 
    Good luck to you and I hope 2015 will be excellent for you!
    Niki x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Marrianna,
    Many thanks for your kind comment on my blog 
    Daphne’s Diary has been great for me – I've come in contact with some lovely people through it! – A great magazine too.
    I used to sell on-line and at fairs for about 8 years, but then decided to open my shop as I was becoming very isolated at home...I had the shop for 5 years, but as we plan on moving house (hopefully this year) I felt I had to come out of it, as I was going to be tied-in for another 5 years otherwise. I know I will adjust, and if we do manage to move this year I will have that as a fresh focus...
    I love doing the fairs, but for now I am trying to embrace the change, working at home again, but am looking forward to my first fair in February.

    Thank you very much for purchasing my book too! I DO hope you will enjoy it. I wrote it about 6 years ago now...but vintage style doesn't change...that’s what i love about it

    I hope 2015 will bring you lots of happiness.
    My best wishes,
    Niki

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for your kind comments ladies! - Having spent a rather crazy week at home...I feel your support!

    Wishing everyone a happy and healthy 2015, Niki x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Niki, very excited you will be selling on line once more..
    I love your blog ( always have done ) My young daughter says the very same to me about change and blog format..But I'm sticking to my guns ! I find some blog lay outs just not me..I'm a old soul , like you and always enjoy and find 'me' more in blogs and words of wisdom that have a heart and soul.. I have bought many things from you in the past.. (loved these) Keep doing just what you do and keep smiling..Its always such a pleasure to be here in your corner !
    Hugs Maria x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oops I forgot to wish you a jolly lovely 2015 !!
    Maria x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Maria,
    Many thanks for your kind words of support. Its a tricky one isn't it? - Here we are, lovers of all things old and wonky, but trying to use modern technology (and to keep up with it all too) to sell our wares...Do the two really go together? Ha!

    From another 'old soul' - your friend, Niki x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for finding the time to visit me...
Niki xx