Friday, January 30, 2015

The Whales Were Calling Her Name...

When my girls were very young, one of their most favourite books that I would read to them, was this one - The Whales' Song by Dyan Sheldon. 
The illustrations by Gary Blythe are captivating. 
Lilly's Grandmother tells Lilly stories of how the oceans were once full of whales... 
And if you were to offer them a gift of a perfect shell or perhaps a stone, the whales would give you something in return... 
Sometimes they would sing. 
The lovely book that we have hung on to all of these years has inspired this little artwork, which I created using one of the capitz shells that I bought a couple of weeks ago.. 
I stamped the words of the last sentence from the book, onto antique paper -
'The whales were calling her name'.
I also added antique net lace with a wave design, shells, a pearl, a button and tiny glitter dots. 
A bit of a departure in style for me, so I'm not entirely sure if this works, but sometimes its nice to experiment with different thoughts...And it was nice to have the excuse to read the wonderful book again :) 
***

As a complete contrast, I've also repaired the Deco hat stand. After gluing her head back on, I filled the cracks and join with decorator's filler.
I wrapped vintage fur around her neck to disguise it, adding an amber glass button to the front. 
I also gave her a velvet ribbon headpiece, with Deco dress clip decoration and feathers. 
Another piece that I shall take to one of the fairs this year. 
Have a lovely weekend,
Niki x

5 comments:

  1. Hi Niki You must have had a very satisfying week bringing sad unloved things back to life. Absolutely lovely. Will any be making their way into the online shop. Lynne xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lynne,
    Thanks for your kind comment and interest. I've actually been fighting an awful bug for over a week now, so its been nice to do the makeovers when I've felt up to it...I have a lot to catch up with at home now though! Will try and add some more items to my shop towards the end of next week, hopefully when I'm a bit more back to normal...
    I do intend to keep some items for the fairs though - The jumble in Box will be a clearance exercise (old shop stock), but for some of the vintage fairs, I'd like to have a whole new display of stock that's not been seen on my pitch before...Now I'm not buying for the bricks and mortar shop, I can buy differently for the real vintage lovers. :)

    Have a lovely weekend,
    Niki x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Niki, that book looks absolutely wonderful, the illustrations are beautiful! I am going to have to look this one up on Amazon to see if I can get it for my granddaughter. I love getting her books that are different than those we normally find in the stores or library. . .

    And I love what you did with the Art Deco lady! She looks glamorous again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cynthia,
    It's a lovely book (particularly for girls I think), which I would recommend...I'm sure you'll find it on Amazon. As a Grandma myself now, I'm enjoying reading all the old children's books that we kept, to my granddaughters. :)
    Niki

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Niki,
    I happen to have this lovely book and your artwork is really beautiful! ah the lady on your deco hat stand looks wonderful and i have to say the vase and tulips are just lovely xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for finding the time to visit me...
Niki xx